In early December 2019, the 1st XI cricket squad participated in the 47th Australasian Marist Cricket Carnival hosted by Notre Dame College, Shepparton, Victoria. The team started the Carnival well taking out the Twenty20 competition on day 1 with a second last ball victory in the final against Notre Dame College Shepparton.
In the preliminary rounds of the main competition, the team had good wins against Marist College Bendigo and Notre Dame College Shepparton and a close loss to St Gregory’s College Campbelltown to qualify for the Carnival final. In a hard fought final against St Gregory’s College Campbelltown, the boys played impressive and uncompromising cricket to win the final by three runs (10/193 to 9/190) to secure the Ray Lindwall Trophy for Carnival Champions. The success was a fitting reward as the boys played excellent cricket and participated with good sportsmanship, earning the respect of other teams and host Carnival organisers.
The following members of the St Joseph’s squad were recognised at the Carnival Awards Ceremony:
- The Brother Evan O’Halloran Memorial Trophy for the Most Outstanding Cricketer of the Carnival: Adrian Dawson (Year 12)
- The David Parsons Trophy for Fielder of the Carnival: Benjamin Jones (Year 12)
- Champagnat Award for the player who best exemplified the spirit of Marcellin Champagnat during the Carnival: Quinlan McMahon (Year 12)
- Selection in the Combined Marist XI (team of the Carnival): Adrian Dawson (Year 12), William Coffey (Year 12) and Archie Gallagher (Year 11).
- The Brother Crispin O’Sullivan Memorial Shield for Captain of the Combined Marist XI: William Coffey (Year 12)
- Coach of the Combined Marist XI: Mr Ash Squire
The Carnival squad was: William Coffey (c) (Y12), Benjamin Jones (vc) (Y12), William Burnett (Y12), Adrian Dawson (Y12), Matthew Dodds (Y11), Simon Dodds (Y11), Archie Gallagher (Y11), Willis Gunesekera (Y12), Harrison Johansen (Y12), William Maffey (Y12), George Martin (Y12), Quinlan McMahon (Y12), Hugh Ridley (Y11), Mr Ash Squire (Coach), Mr David Wiseman (Manager) and Mr Michael Radziowsky (MIC/Cricket).